Saturday, October 4, 2008

Work work work-NOT!

For the next three weeks I had arranged to fill in for my neighbor (she is going on vacation to Cabos San Lucas) who cleans a one story home. Went on a trial run last Wednesday to find out what was expected of me.

I turned over all my bookkeeping chores to the office girl except for payroll because I would have been working Mon-Friday for the next three weeks and knew I would be exhausted. Welllllll, I guess someone up there said Oh no you don't, you already work too hard and proceeded to tangle my feet on a staircase while working on Friday. I went down hard. Hit my head, bruised my shoulder and my foot had me screaming. (I know God really didn't do it to me) I was just not paying attention and I missed the stair. I thought I had sprained my ankle and kept working for another hour till I couldn't put pressure on my foot at all without severe pain. I managed to miss getting hit by a bus while hobbling across the street to my car and then proceeded to drive home using my left foot for the brake and hurt right foot for the gas. I had to lift my pant leg to guide my right foot. I still thought my foot was sprained maybe!

Jerry helped me into the house and I took off my shoe to see a very swollen foot. Put ice on it, elevated it etc.... Went to emergency and 4 hours later after x-rays I was told I had a BROKEN foot. I have never had a broken bone in my body till now. I don't wish it on anyone.

These days the doctors don't put casts on you, they put a "boot" which conforms to your foot and leg by pumps on either side of the boot. So I have a boot and crutches. I will not be able to work for at least six weeks and I have to make an appointment to see an Orthopedic doctor on Monday.

If I had the flu or some bug that made me sleep a lot it would be fine but I am not used to feeling ok and not being able to run around doing everyday things. This is going to drive me nuts!!!

I have called all my clients to let them know I couldn't work for the next six weeks and they were totally understanding. I feel terrible about letting them down though. That's just the way I am.

One funny thing happened at the emergency clinic though and that was we had to go downstairs for the x-rays and when we came back up we thought we had come from the 2nd floor. When the elevator doors opened we saw a sign that said "Neurology" instead of "Urgent Care". I had to laugh thinking I wasn't ready for that department yet!

I will have lots of time to catch up on my reading and watching movies for the next few weeks. This is only the 2nd day and I am already fidgety.

What am I going to do with myself????????????????

2 comments:

rosemary said...

OH NO....holy foot thingy Barb. I hope the pain has subsided a bit. can you drive? I guess not with a boot on. I hope this doesn't mean surgery. Will you be able to keep your clients? I was gonna suggest lunch next Wednesday.....let me know what the doc says, please and i will call in a few days if i don't get an email.

Mom said...

Well you can read everyone's blog and write more often on your blog. You can meet all sorts of interesting people out in blogland.
I get the feeling that sitting is an unusual activity for you.things to do while sitting include reading, knitting, drawing, crosswords surfing the net writing long letters to friends you haven't talked to in years, yelling at the TV and of course blogging. Good luck and speedy recovery to you.